The Society for Mathematical Biology Fellows Program honors members of the Society who are recognized by the scientific and scholarly community as distinguished for their contributions to the discipline.
Any Society for Mathematical Biology regular member in good standing is eligible to be nominated to be a Society for Mathematical Biology Fellow. For these purposes, a regular member is defined as a non-student, dues-paying member. A nominee is expected to have been a member of the profession for at least ten years. Member of the profession is defined as holding a faculty or independent research position. Society for Mathematical Biology Presidents and Bulletin of Mathematical Biology Editor-in-Chief will automatically become Fellows upon election, if they are not Fellows already.
The society will aim to name up to two fellows every two years. The award will consist of a certificate, which it will be handed in the Awards ceremony at the Annual Meeting.
Fellows of the Society for Mathematical Biology
2017 (inaugural class)
1. Simon Levin (Society President, 1987-1989), Princeton University
2. Stuart Kauffman (Society President, 1989-1991), Santa Fe Institute
3. Alan Perelson (Society President,1991-1993), Los Alamos National Laboratory
4. John Tyson (Society President,1993-1995), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
5. Leah Edelstein-Keshet (Society President,1995-1997), University of British Columbia
6. Leon Glass (Society President,1997-1999), McGill University
7. Alan Hastings (Society President,1999-2001 and Bulletin of Mathematical Biology Editor-in-Chief, 2016-present), University of California, Davis
8. Mark Lewis (Society President,2001-2003), University of Alberta
9. Philip K. Maini, (Bulletin of Mathematical Biology Editor-in-Chief, 2002-2015), University of Oxford
10. Lou Gross (Society President,2003-2005), University of Tennessee at Knoxville
11. Mark Chaplain (Society President,2005-2007), St. Andrews University
12. Avner Friedman (Society President,2007-2009), Ohio State University
13. Michael Mackey (Society President,2009-2011), McGill University
14. Gerda de Vries (Society President,2011-2013), University of Alberta
15. Fred Adler (Society President,2013-2015), University of Utah
16. Santiago Schnell (Society President,2015-2017), University of Michigan Medical School
17. Reinhard Laubenbacher, (Bulletin of Mathematical Biology Editor-in-Chief, 2016-present), University of Connecticut Health
18. Denise Kirschner (Society President,2017-2019), University of Michigan Medical School