SMB Home Page
Officers & Directors
Report on World Outreach Committee activities
by Jorge X. Velasco-Hernandez
- World Outreach Committee (WOC) report was elaborated and
published in the SMB Newsletter (Volume 12
number 2). Thanks to all members.
- Requests were sent to members to report on biomathematical
activities, researchers and sister Societies. Members are
currently gathering information. The profile of the Mexican
Math Society as related to BioMath activities was published in
the previously mentioned newsletter report.
- Two proposals were presented on the use of funds allocated
to the WOC (by Tanya and then seconded by Coraci):
- To restrain from spending the money on meetings of the
WOC members or similar activities and try to "invest" in ways
that would increase our funds. I suppose the next thing to do
is to think of possible activities in this direction.
- Another possible use of our money is to organize a school
in one of the possible geographic areas (Latin America, Eastern
Europe, Asia, etc) and use this money for bringing one of the
well known people in the field to give a course.
- Dr. Geoff Alidis from the New Zeland biomathematicians
was incorporated as a new member of the WOC.
- The first book published in Spanish on Mathematical
Biology was reviewed in the Bulletin (in English, with
approval of Prof. Lee Segel). This book is a text book that
will be very popular in the region because of its quality and
because of the limited access to good math textbooks in Spanish.