Welcome back to the SMB Newsletter for our third issue of 2018!
The electronic format of the SMB newsletter, launched earlier this year, remains the most visited page on the SMB website! It serves the SMB community with news and updates, so please share it with your colleagues and contribute content to future issues.
The SMB Newsletter has three main sections, with new content in each section in every issue. The three sections are:
- News– This section provides a summary of events, meetings, and happenings relevant to SMB members.
- People– Here, we introduce you to mathematical biologists from around the world and highlight their work and impact on the field, through articles and interviews.
- Editorial– This section highlights relevant published journal articles or online content in mathematical biology.
Issues of the newsletter will be released four times per year in March, June, September and December.
In this issue
In this issue we highlight the following:
- News– Highlight of newly elected SMB leaders and tribute to SMB donor and supporter of mathematical biology, Mrs. Evelyn Landahl.
- People– Interview with the SMB president-elect Professor Sandy Anderson and research interview with incoming Board of Directors’ member Associate Professor Peter Kim.
- Editorial– SMB annual meeting report, news from the Bulletin of Mathematical Biology and three highly cited papers from the Bulletin.
To see the articles in this issue, click the pictures at the bottom of this page.
We would like to invite you to submit content to the newsletter. This newsletter can only be successful if it provides useful content to SMB members and we can only report the news that we receive. The next issue will be released in December, so if you would like to contribute, please send an email to the editors by the end of October to discuss how your content can be included. This could include summaries of relevant conferences that you have attended, suggestions for interviews, professional development opportunities etc. Please note that job advertisements should be sent to the SMB digest rather than to the newsletter. Finally, if you have any suggestions on how to improve the newsletter, please contact us at any time. The primary contact editor is Robin.
Get to know the newsletter editors
In this issue we invite you to get to know Dr. Jennifer Flegg. To see Jen’s interview, please click here.
We hope you enjoy this issue of the newsletter!
Stacey, Jen and Robin
Editors, SMB Newsletter