Welcome back to the SMB Newsletter for our second issue of 2018!
The new, fully electronic format of the newsletter has been very well received by SMB members; since the newsletter was released, it has been by far the most visited page on the SMB website. The newsletter serves the SMB community with news and updates, so please share it with your colleagues and consider contributing content to later issues.
The SMB Newsletter has three main sections, with new content in each section in every issue. The three sections are:
- News – This section provides a summary of events, meetings, and happenings relevant to SMB members.
- People – Here, we introduce you to mathematical biologists from around the world and highlight their work and impact on the field, through articles and interviews.
- Editorial – This section highlights relevant published journal articles or online content in mathematical biology.
Issues of the newsletter will be released four times per year in March, June, September and December.
In this issue
In this issue we highlight the following:
- News – upcoming SMB conference and SMB members in the news
- People – research interview with Dr Nik Cunniffe and memorials for Dr George Oster and Dr Garry Odell
- Editorial – IPAM conference report, research highlights in Bulletin of Mathematical Biology and a commentary on how the Bulletin is the driving engine for SMB
To see the articles in this issue, click the links at the bottom of this page.
We would like to invite you to submit content to the newsletter. This newsletter can only be successful if it provides useful content to SMB members and we can only report the news that we receive. The next issue will be released in September, so if you would like to contribute, please send an email to the editors by the end of July to organise how your content can be included. This could include summaries of relevant conferences that you have attended, suggestions for interviews, professional development opportunities etc. Please note that job advertisements should be sent to the SMB digest rather than to the newsletter. Finally, if you have any suggestions on how to improve the newsletter, please contact us at any time. The primary contact editor is Robin.
Get to know the newsletter editors
In this issue we invite you to get to know Dr Stacey Finley. To see Stacey’s interview, please click here.
We hope you enjoy this issue of the newsletter!
Stacey, Jen and Robin
Editors, SMB Newsletter