Guidelines for SMB Financial Support to Travel to the SMB Annual Meeting
- Funding in most cases will be partial, typically limited to $500 US, in order to support a greater number of attendees. Exceptions can be made based on need and availability of funds.
- Applicants must be members of the SMB at the time funds are requested.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have been members of the SMB for at least a year preceding the time of application, or whose advisors have been members for at least a year. Preference will also be given to applicants who are presenting a paper or poster at the meeting and those who did not receive a travel grant from the SMB the previous year.
- Preference will be given to applicants in the following priority
- graduate students
- non-tenured junior faculty, who do not have sufficient travel funds from other sources, such as grants
- senior scientists with insufficient travel funds
- non-SMB members who join at the time of application.
- Funding is also available for senior scientists living in countries with limited resources.
- Equal opportunity will be afforded all members with no discrimination on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, nationality, ethnic background, or religious belief.
- Students are encouraged to sign up for the mentoring program in order to optimize their conference experience. See http://www.smb.org/meetings/mentoring.html for details.
- It is customary for recipients of these grants to contribute to the meeting by helping at the book and literature table. You can arrange this by contacting the SMB Treasurer in advance at the address listed below or at the meeting.
How to Apply
Application deadline for 2016 Annual Meeting: March 31, 2016.
Materials to be submitted:
- Complete the online application.
- In your cover letter, indicate whether you received a Landahl travel grant last year, and other financial resources available to you to help support attendance to the meeting.
For questions, please contact the Chair of the Landahl Travel Grants Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Travel arrangements, meeting arrangements, disbursal of funds, and review of abstracts are handled separately from decisions about travel support.
- Payment is made at or after the meeting upon presentation of receipts
for expenses. Direct questions about payment and receipts to the SMB
Lisette de Pillis
Department of Mathematics
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Return to Travel Support page